Saturday, June 2, 2012

Tucson: Day 1.

Hellooo. What an exhausting day! Well, couple of days. But I'm happy to say that the most stressful part (of this specific trip, at least) is over.

Yesterday evening there was a heavy thunderstorm with the possibility of a tornado. Here's the sky seconds before the storm started.


Mike and I love watching the clouds in Kentucky. The storms are so awesome looking. But this day was not a convenient day for a storm. I was worried it would hinder our flight, but luckily by morning it was just light rain.

I started my day today, at 4:30 in the morning (1:30 am Arizona time, where I am now), after getting maybe two and a half hours of sleep. My morning began with a short but intense workout, last minute packing and saying long emotional goodbyes to the cats.

Our taxi arrived at 6:15 am to take us to the airport. I'm always uncomfortable taking taxis. They drive crazy and run red lights and scare the crap out of me. This morning was particularly scary, with it raining and the driver texting while driving and swerving a lot. But we made it to the airport without dying, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

We flew to Chicago and then off to Tucson. Here's another cloudy picture, this time from the airplane somewhere between Louisville and Chicago.


We got to Tucson around lunchtime and drove around a bit while we waited for the time to come to check into our hotel room. There's a Trader Joe's a block away from the hotel so before checking in we stocked up on some healthy-ish stuff to keep in our room. I thought I hated Trader Joe's because the one in Louisville is HORRIBLE. The worst place on earth. But this one here is soooo awesome. I look forward to going back.

Anyway. we checked in to the hotel and then enjoyed a lunch of yummy Trader Joe's sushi and relaxed for a while. Then it was time for our appointment to see our first rental house in town. Sadly, the landlord didn't show up and when we called, she said something had come up and she wouldn't be able to show the house until Tuesday. We were kind of bummed, but were pleased that we saw several other for rent signs in the area to check out later.

Then it was back to the hotel for a much needed nap. We were both complete zombies having been traveling for many hours on only a tiny bit of sleep.

We awoke from naptime starving for dinner and excited for Mexican food since it's impossible to get good Mexican food in Kentucky. What I'm used to is New Mexican style Mexican food but I guess what they have here is "Sonoran" Mexican food. I don't know what that means, but we found a hole-in-the-wall restaurant nearby, and it was insanely good. But that could have just been because we were starving and exhausted.


I ordered a chicken burrito and was not disappointed. It looks like it's smothered in red chile sauce, but it wasn't quite that. I don't know what it was, but I could drink a glass of that sauce. And the burrito was HUGE. I could only eat about a third of it and have the rest sitting in the mini fridge in my hotel room waiting to be eaten. I'm getting hungry again just thinking about it.

So overall it was an okay day. I'm glad the not-fun travel-y part is over and now I can just enjoy myself exploring the city and finding a house.

My first impression of Tucson left me with kind of mixed feelings about this becoming my new home. But I think I'll wait to talk more about that until I actually become a little better acquainted with the city.

I've been up (not counting that little nap) for almost 24 hours and am super jet-lagged so I think I'm going to crawl into bed now and sleep until my face falls off.

No comments:

Post a Comment