Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Green Chile Chicken Stew


My name is Weasel and I approve this message.


Mexican food in Kentucky is really, really bad. So if I want Mexican food here, I have to make it myself. My default thing to make is my mom's recipe for green chile chicken enchiladas. 

Lately though, I've been trying to avoid straying too far from paleo when possible, so I thought maybe some green chile chicken stew would satisfy the craving without having to eat any grain. And my stew recipe definitely does the trick. It has become probably my favorite at-home meal, and I make it about once a week. 

And now I will share it with you...


Green Chile Chicken Stew

(Makes 5-6  heaping one cup servings)


.8 - 1 lb chicken thighs (or breasts, but I think thighs are better), cooked and shredded

1/2 a medium onion, diced

1 extra large garlic clove, minced

2 tablespoons cooking fat (I usually use half ghee and half coconut oil, but anything will be fine)

6-8 oz diced green chiles (more if you like it really spicy)

2 medium-large potatoes, chopped into 1cm cubes (or use riced cauliflower if you prefer)

1 carton (32 oz) chicken broth

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon oregano

Salt and pepper

1/2 cup heavy cream



Heat the cooking fat in a pot big enough to hold everything. Then saute the onion and garlic until it starts to soften. Add the green chile, potatoes, chicken broth, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper and stir. Simmer, covered, for about 40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. When the potatoes are cooked through, add in the cooked, shredded chicken. Next, stir in the cream and bring back to a simmer. Now taste a little and add more salt and pepper if needed. And it's ready!



I like to eat mine topped with a little (or a lot) of shredded cheddar. The leftovers are great for lunch the next day, or even frozen and thawed for a fast and delicious future meal. 

And great on the side, are these cheesy tapioca buns!


Notes: 

To prep the chicken, I like to drizzle it with olive oil and a little salt and pepper and bake it in a pan covered in foil at 350 for about 25 minutes, or until cooked through. Then shred it or chop it up.

I really love my soups full of cream, but it would probably still be good if the cream was left out. 

A good alternative to using carb-y potatoes in this recipe is riced cauliflower. Just grate 1/2- 3/4 cup of raw cauliflower and throw it in in place of the potatoes and simmer until everything is tender and the flavors are nicely melded.

I hope you enjoy this stew as much as I do!



No comments:

Post a Comment