Sunday, July 8, 2012

Three weeks to go.

My big move back to the southwest is coming up quick! I'm super excited and packing up more of the house every day.


With all this moving, and my studio all in boxes, I won't be making any art for a while. So here's an old piece, since I have nothing new to show:





Things I'm looking forward to about moving:

Setting up my new studio.
Living somewhat near my family again (6 hour drive instead of a 24 hour drive).
Having year-round sunshine, because as nice as Kentucky is in the spring/summer, the winter here really, really sucks. Day after day of not seeing the sun really gets you down.


Percentage of sunny days in Louisville: 56%
Percentage of sunny days in Tucson: 85%
Tucson sunshine is beat only by Yuma, AZ and Redding, CA.

There are plenty of not-so-great things about living in the desert, too. The deathly dryness. The scorching heat. The venomous house guests. It's weird though, when we were there visiting a few weeks ago, I had this feeling like the desert was where I belong. Maybe it's something about living the first 6 years of my life and then the first 7 years of my adult life in the desert that cemented me as a desert creature.

I am definitely going to miss the lush greenery here in Louisville, though, and the amazingly beautiful storms. Mike and I always go out on our porch to watch the clouds right before a severe thunderstorm starts, which is multiple times a week here, year-round. I've never seen such cool looking clouds.

It is kind of a pain that we have to move again after only living out here for a year, but I think I like moving. I know it's a lot of work, not to mention really expensive, but it's really exciting too. And I get bored with my surroundings pretty quickly so changing them up completely is always really refreshing. I also love getting to spend a whole week with my parents, since they always come to help us when we move.

No comments:

Post a Comment